[mythtv-users] Ubuntu / Kubuntu

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Tue Jan 23 10:43:38 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 23 January 2007 11:22, Damian Surr wrote:
> > No.  Except that mythtv uses qt like kde.
> > What I do, is doing a server install and then install mythtv frontend
> > and/ora backend.  So I have a minimal install + the needed packages for
> > running mythtv.
>
> What's the difference between the server install and the desktop?
A ubuntu server install is just a basic install.  Later on, you can install
what you want.  The software is the same, but the desktop install will
install additional progams (that you don't need for mythtv).
That's why I do a server install and later on install the software I need (in
my case this was mythfrontend and backend)

> assume I want the desktop as I think I'll need the backend and front end
> on the same machine. Would the Ubuntu server OS be better?
>
> Also, how would you format a 300Gig drive? I've read that the usual
> formats aren't good for Myth because of their poor performance deleting
> large files.
At least take a 4 GB partition for / (ext3) and a swap.  So later on you can
experiment with the rest of the disk and keep the same install.  It's even
wise to create an empty 4 GB partition that can be used later for a test
install.  Or you can mount it as /backup and copy nightly the stuff you need
as backup (/etc comes to mind and a mysql dump).
I usually create 1 big /data partition.  I use ext3 and don't have a problem
with it.

Stef