[mythtv-users] DVI-D/HD video card recommendation

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Tue Jan 23 10:19:59 UTC 2007

On 23 Jan 2007, at 04:07, Justin Moore wrote:
> I realize that.  My question was
>
>>> P.S. Under linux, how would I check to see if the card was sending a
>>> DVI-D signal as opposed to a DVI-A signal (all the cards I've
>>> seen have
>>> DVI-I output).
>
> Is there a flag I need to set when loading the kernel module to
> force to
> DVI-D output?

And a very good question it is, too.

I'm afraid I'm not able to answer, so I'm just posting to (bump your
thread and) ask that if you find out elsewhere can you post back
here, please?

> I'd like to ... try and force the card
> into DVI-D mode.
>
> There's also the issue as to whether or not a $30-$50 card can push
> 720p/1080i over a DVI-D link.

I've read posts on http://www.avforums.com from people saying they're
using dual-link cards (under Windows) to drive their 1920 x 1080
panels, but I'm not clear if this is actually necessary. I know
nothing about dual-link, but I don't see how it should be necessary
if a Blue-Ray or HD-DVD player can connect with just a regular HDMI
cable. I'd love to know more.

> From what I've seen on several
> manufacturer's websites there are different maximum resolutions
> depending on whether it's an analog or digital signal it's
> pushing.  For
> example, it looks like anything short of a 7600GT can't do 1080p in
> digital mode, but the 7600GT and up can do 1080p.  I'd just like to
> know
> whether or not this is the case and (if so) where the similar line is
> for 1080i.

I have the impression that I've seen higher specifications advertised
for VGA output than for DVI, but that seems quite illogical to me.

Stroller.