[mythtv-users] Need to buy a graphics card

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jan 22 14:42:05 UTC 2007

On Jan 22, 2007, at 6:40 AM, Damian Surr wrote:

> Can anyone help with my shopping list? :-)

Sure, get an nVidia 5200-based card.

What we would really need to know is what interface you are going to
be using. For AGP the 5200 cards are pretty much the baseline, but
any nVidia card since then will work.

For PCI-Express a 5300 is great, if you can find one. Again anything
since the MX-4 will probably work. A 7600 card is fairly cheap for
the PCI-Express interface.

Some folks have made the ATI cards work but they are more difficult.

Other factors are whether or not you are going to want to do HD, how
much CPU horsepower you will have (doing HD with an underpowered CPU
will require XvMC).

So: What you you planning to put this in, what are you going to do
with it, how are you planning to connect it to your display device
and what sort of display are you using? Are you planning to do any
gaming with this machine? Is noise a factor?

And of course: How much money do you have to spend ? :-)

Your basic question was like asking "I want to buy a car, can you
help?". The answer might be anything from a VW beetle to a Rolls-
Royce, and without more info we can't help you.

Please don't be offended, we really want to help. I agree there
should be better info on this on the WiKi and I really am thinking
about that as well.