[mythtv-users] xbox recommendations

A JM vbtalent at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 13:54:22 UTC 2007

On 1/22/07, Brent <brent at brentnorris.net> wrote:
> Jeremy Warren wrote:
> > http://www.xbox-scene.com/ is a great place to learn xbox modding,
> > the forums and guides are pretty useful.
> >
> > Me I personally use an application on the xbox called xbox media
> > center in conjunction with a modchip (xecuter 2 modchip - about $40,
> > software is under some sort of GPL license)
> >
> > There is a plugin for XBMC that works as a slim down frontend for
> > myth - more information can be found at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/
> > index.php/Xbox_Frontend, it works pretty well.
> >
> > You are correct that the xbox is unable to play back HD content (at
> > least i have had limited success) it just does not have the horsepower.
> >
> > Jeremy
> >
> > On Jan 21, 2007, at 10:57 PM, Joe Votour wrote:
> >

> >> I've have the DMS X-B.I.T. modchip in my XBox (a 1.1).  I'm not sure
> >> if it's available anymore, but it supports flashing a BIOS via USB,
> >> with the XBox turned off.  It also segments the chip (a 2MB, I think)
> >> so that you can have multiple BIOS' available, selectable via DIP
> >> switches.
> >>
> >> It's how I loaded Cromwell into my XBox when I was booting into
> >> Linux with it.
> >>
> >> Some of the modchips use a method like this, some of them use special
> >> software that runs on the XBox itself.  In any case, you shouldn't
> >> need to do the softmod, so there's no particular versions of games
> >> needed.
> >>
> >> Also, this allows you to revert back to the original XBox BIOS should
> >> you need to.
> >>
> >> I don't think that the XBox is capable of playing back HD captured
> >> content (I haven't tried it myself though), and the XBox remote does
> >> work under Linux, but the number of buttons is limiting.  I found it
> >> easier to use a OneForAll remote setup to look like the XBox, and find
> >> EFCs for extra buttons.
> >>
> >> -- Joe

> I personally have two soft modded Xboxs that I use for Frontends.  I run
> XBMC, and XBMCmythtv on them and it works really good.  I think it is
> way more responsive than than booting into Linux and running the front
> end.  XBMC will play HDTV HR Xvids like you would grab off of a torrent
> site or something and they look really good.  Since that is the only
> thing I use to watch MythTV recordings I would like to have my BE
> transcode them down from OTA HD to HR Xvids, and just change the file
> that gets played in the DB, but I don't have that working yet.
>
> Soft mods are cake anymore, if you can find one of those games.  They
> are forever old, so that might decrease the chances you will be able to
> find them, but it will also increase the chances that you can find one
> cheap.  I actually just keep one around in case I need to mod an Xbox.
>
> Hardware Mods are tougher, or maybe it is better to just say more
> stressful.  I have done them though on machines that had some bad piece
> of hardware that I could circumvent by chipping it.
>
> Brent

I've also soft modded an Xbox and would agree that once the save
process has been completed using one of the games. I'm able to play
both XBOX games and MAME games, I didn't need to break out the
soldering iron but I did open it to install a larger hard drive which
needs to be specifically setup for an Xbox.

It works rather well as a front end, it's a bit slow in the menu
department and it doesn't do HD only SD,  otherwise it's inexpensive
and redily available. Just my 2 cent's worth...

Has anyone installed ubuntu on an XBOX???

Brent,

"I run XBMC, and XBMCmythtv on them and it works really good."

What features are not available from Myth using XBMC??