[mythtv-users] 2 quick questions

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jan 22 07:20:38 UTC 2007

On Jan 21, 2007, at 11:59 PM, Phill Edwards wrote:

>> Let's all try and make meaningful subject lines a priority, and when
>> we finally do get answers post a summary with SOLVED in the subject
>> but in the same thread.
>
> Agree with the meaningful subject sentiments, but not with putting
> SOLVED into the subject. If you do that won't it mess up threaded
> email clients and make them think that the SOLVED email is part of a
> new thread?

I admit I haven't thought it through as much as I should, I just get
so tired of finally finding a thread with the exact problem I am
having, following it carefully and then:

It disappears !

Because the OP lost interest in posting anything once he got things
working.

I think as long as you are replying to a message you can change the
subject and keep the threading, but a lot depends on what MUA you are
using. Some of the web-based mail clients really suck.

Then there are the postings with a subject of "digest" or the like,
very few mailers can actually properly burst a digest and preserve
the threading (can any of them ?).

The real answer is of course the WiKi, and once you find an answer
you should find a way to put it into that, but it takes time and
that's something we all have limited amounts of.

As I said, I am criticizing myself as much as anyone else here, I am
at least as bad at these things as others are.

But we have to start somewhere, and identifying the problem(s) is a
good start at least.