[mythtv-users] Transcoding failure

Shawn Willden shawn-myth at willden.org
Thu Jan 18 21:16:01 UTC 2007

On Thursday 18 January 2007 13:35, Shawn Willden wrote:
> One of the two issues I'm having is that transcoding fails.  Transcode jobs
> fail immediately.

I have solved this, but I don't really understand the solution.

The recording profile for transcoding included "Autodetect MPEG", which what
configured to use the RTJPeg codec. As an experiment, I changed this to use
the MPEG4 codec, and that solved the problem.

I found a Knoppmyth forum post that explained that there was no point in
transcoding MPEG2 to RTJpeg, because MPEG2 is better compression anyway.  I
understand that (I guess RTjpeg is just frame-by-frame JPEG compression or
something?), but it's not clear to me why it would fail to work, even if it
isn't useful.

Any light you could shed would be appreciated,

	Shawn.