[mythtv-users] Automatically alternating tuners.

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 21:12:12 UTC 2007

On 18/01/07, jonny Linux <jonnylinux at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I run into the same issue.  The scheduler seems so complex though I've
> > never gotten up the nerve to look at the code and try to implement the
> > alternating tuner approach.  Or make that run late soft setting a firm
> > setting, but not hard, if that makes any sense.
>

> Yes - thats the solution I was thinking of. There are two problems with
> using the early late parameters
> 1) They will have to be set manually on each schedule.

A more granular control over early/late overrecord is the way I prefer
things, even if it does cause the odd situation where manual
intervention is required to preserve scheduled recordings. On some UK
cable channels (uktv food), being able to start and finish recordings
a minute early ensures I get complete consecutive recordings. Starting
on the hour always manages to make sure Rick Stein is cut in half.

> 2) It will fail if there are no tuners left, at which point the extra time
> settings should be ignored.

If there are no tuners left, the scheduler wouldn't be able to start
the second recording on another card anyway so the original premise
doesn't work. Using the 'soft' global pre/post settings seems the best
compromise - if it can be recorded it will be, and if it can't,
recordings will still be made on a single card but there is the chance
endings/beginnings will be truncated.

> > The other thing that I've always thought would be nice is if you have
> > two back to back recordings on the same show, and have the record
> > early/late option soft setting, just start splitting the recording
> > into two files during the overlap from the same tuner so there is not
> > break in the recording at all.  I can't imagine that this is a trivial
> > change.
>
> Yes - I'm sure I read a thread about that a few months ago - this would be a
> great help. There are frequently consecutive programs on the same channel
> I'd like to record, and I often end up having to manually override the tuner
> settings to make sure both the end of the first program and the start of the
> next are recorded.

This feature and being able to dump an entire multiplex to disk will
be the next two biggest TV-centric advances (at least that I have my
fingers crossed for). I imagine the first feature (splitting to two
files during the overlap period) will be welcomed by many many users,
and should be easier to implement that the second, which will likely
cause no end of scheduling issues (just see the previous threads on
this ;) )

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki: