[mythtv-users] Automatically alternating tuners.

Billy Macdonald billymacdonald at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 19:37:45 UTC 2007

On 1/18/07, Neil Bird <neil at fnxweb.com> wrote:
> Around about 18/01/07 11:44, David Watkins typed ...
> > With plenty of tuners however, you're better off setting the 'start
> > early' 'end late' parameters in the recording profile.  These overrun
> > settings will be enforced by the scheduler and will cause your other
> > tuners to be brought into play.
>
>    This'll fail if the other tuners are busy, though, won't it?  Myth will
> just not record the second. prog. (or will it lose the end of the 1st or the
> start of the 2nd?)

I run into the same issue.  The scheduler seems so complex though I've
never gotten up the nerve to look at the code and try to implement the
alternating tuner approach.  Or make that run late soft setting a firm
setting, but not hard, if that makes any sense.

The other thing that I've always thought would be nice is if you have
two back to back recordings on the same show, and have the record
early/late option soft setting, just start splitting the recording
into two files during the overlap from the same tuner so there is not
break in the recording at all.  I can't imagine that this is a trivial
change.

Billy