[mythtv-users] Unicode characters showing up as question marks [SOLVED]

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Thu Jan 18 13:14:27 UTC 2007


Got it solved. To add new fonts for the OSD settings, one simply puts 
the desired fonts into:

Then go into mythfrontend->settings->TV set up->playback and a couple of 
screens in there's a drop down menu for the "osd font".

I tried Microsoft's "Arial Unicode", but that didn't seem to fly. But 
then, when looking around in my Linux fonts directory, I had a directory 

So I copied all the fonts from that directory, about 12 of them, to the 
/usr/share/mythtv directory. I think symlinks would be okay too, but I 
just copied them for now.

Then I went with a font called "kochi-gothic-subst.ttf" and made sure it 
was selected in the settings.

Success! Now my on screen display shows the Japanese text for all the shows!

Hope that information can also help others.

Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft
Pentium D Dual Core Processor
PHP 5, MySQL 5, Apache 2

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list