[mythtv-users] Volume control from command line

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 13:13:24 UTC 2007

On 18/01/07, Dave M G <martin at autotelic.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to be control the volume of my system via the command line.
> If I can, then I can know what commands to set up to work with my remote
> control.
> It seems the command I want to use is "amixer". So I looked at the man
> page for it:
> http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/amixer.1.html
> And tried:
> amixer -c 0 sset PCM=+10
> But it came back with:
> Specify what you want to set...
> Huh. I thought I did. I thought the PCM mixer was the one responsible
> for master folume. I thought the syntax was okay.
> Where did I go wrong?

When using the '+' or '-' modifier with a volume value in order to
increase/decrease the volume, the sign should be appended to the
value, not prepended as you have in your example. I don't believe you
need to '=' assignment either. Does

# amixer -c 0 sset PCM 10+

provide a better result?

MythTV Official wiki: