[mythtv-users] Recomended distro???

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Thu Jan 18 07:53:35 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 22:54 -0800, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2007, at 10:49 PM, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:
>
> > There have been a couple times when rebooting Linux has fixed issues,
> > just to note. However, either way, Linux requires SIGNIFICANTLY fewer
> > reboots than any other non-UNIX-derivative OS.
>
> Funny. Reboots is usually where it breaks for me. I get some library
> working, I yum upgrade and it all seems well until I reboot a week
> later for some other issue and suddenly my video driver and lirc are
> angry at me.

Heh - moral of story? Pick a window when there aren't any upcoming
recordings for AT LEAST 4-6 hours, then do your patching.  Reboot
immediately after so that you can find what's broken.  Also, on RH /
Fedora boxes, you'll want to do a few additional steps after patching:

1. Patch (if you're using any kmdl rpms, make sure you get these too!)
2. updatedb
3. 'locate rpmnew ; locate rpmsave' - start diffing the config files to
see what are the new options and address one-by-one
4. Reboot
5. Verify that it all works...

This way I can reboot my boxes with confidence that things will work...
of course, I never figured out the whole udev thing... It always breaks
for me - guess I'll get to it someday... ;)

	-I