[mythtv-users] Recomended distro???

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Jan 18 06:43:09 UTC 2007

Dewey Smolka wrote:
> MS Windows, on the other hand, gets to be more of a hassle every time
> you have to reinstall. Last time I had to do a clean install of XP
> (from OEM recovery discs), it took over three hours and something like
> 14 reboots.

Shortly before Windows NT 4.0 was end-of-lifed, someone figured out that
installing NT4 on a modern machine, including upgrading to service pack
6a, installing all the necessary drivers, and installing security
updates, took close to two dozen reboots.  Having done it before, I find
that totally believable.

About the only time you really need to reboot Linux is to upgrade the
kernel or to test changes to the startup files.  And upgrading the
kernel is rarely necessary because security fixes rarely need to touch it.