[mythtv-users] Playing youtube & video.google.com on frontend

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 23:21:22 UTC 2007

On 1/17/07, Monkey Pet <monkeypet at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a project to make it easy to play youtube and video.google.com
> content on the mythfrontend?

Well, sort of...

In recent svn, there was an update to mythnews that added the ability
to handle other media types using the internal player, and with it, I
can browse and launch a few youtube rss feeds. The problems I have
with this are:

1) the entire file currently gets downloaded to the local system
*BEFORE* any attempt to play it is made. This makes playing streaming
content a fair bit more painful when you have to wait for it --
especially given that you may find the file you waited 30 seconds to
download is utter garbage.

2) The internal player doesn't handle every downloaded file properly.
On my system and in my experience, it's about 50/50 for youtube
downloads - 50% of the time, it makes mythfrontend coredump. (while
mplayer plays the downloaded files no problem) YMMV.

Oh, and it would be possible and probably a better overall user
experience to write a plugin to mythstream to handle youtube, google
video, videosift, etc. browsing and *STREAMING* using mplayer. Anyone
willing to write a perl parser script for those could pretty much get
that going quickly.

Hope that helps.

-Ross