[mythtv-users] Advice for a frontend build using EPIA hardware

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 19:01:13 UTC 2007

> So I'm considering the EPIA M10000, which is popular
> around here, but I've read conflicting reports about
> how well it works.   Some say the SP13000 is
> necessary for good performance, though this isn't
> clear to me yet.  Any advice?

The only place where you may have a little difficulty is in playing back
MPEG4 content.  Then again, my 1.2Ghz EN12000EG manages just fine playing
back full NTSC-resolution MPEG4, so I'd expect the M10000 should be able to
pull it off.  Other than that, XvMC will make for smooth playback of DVDs
and PVR-350 encoded video, and playing MP3s and emulating a NES are pretty
easy tasks that the M10000 should be able to manage without breaking a
sweat.

If you were building a combined FE/BE, that'd be another story.  But for
just a lightweight FE, the M10000 is a fine piece of gear, IMHO.

Brett.