[mythtv-users] Recomended distro???

Mark Abreu mark at gags-r-us.org
Wed Jan 17 03:04:47 UTC 2007

Same here.  Almost no linux experience.  I just put one together using Mythdora this weekend.  It comes on one DVD ISO and goes in pretty well.  I've had exactly 3 issues so far:

1.  During the install I chose to use a static address.  The installation continued but failed when it tried to get a channel line-up via zap2it.  Network not working.  I used what I'd call the network control panel to configure it correctly and started the setup portion of the install over.  Worked much better.

2.  After I scanned for channels and got my channel line-up I didn't see what I expected as far as channel names in the program guide.  A little tweak to the myfilldatabase command in the setup fixed this.

3.  I had what looked like an unresponsive system that took a long time to respond to keys.  System isn't busy though.  I think this is an issue Jarod Wilson has identified with window behavior (focus).  I've tweaked a desktop setting and this issue hasn't returned.

After Mythdora my next choice would probably be FC6 and Jarod Wilson's website instructions.  I also found the book "Hacking MythTV" a very good read that better prepared me for this.