[mythtv-users] MythArchive Taking Long Time To Burn DVD

Eric Holt eric-mythtv at skoozdag.com
Wed Jan 17 00:53:40 UTC 2007

Hey folks!  I just did a reinstall of KnoppMyth on my MythTV box, and
I'm having a bit of a problem with the new MythArchive.

Besides there not being a web frontend to it (but thats another story),
my problem is that MythArchive takes an awful long time to actually do
the DVD burning.  I'm not talking about the stuff it has to do to get
the video ready to be burnt, I'm talking about the actual burning itself.

My latest attempt burnt a DVD that is only 3.49GB in size (so not using
the whole 4.3GB on the DVD), and it took 27 minutes to burn that!  This
is a 16x burner with 16x media.  My previous install of KnoppMyth, when
using MythBurn, took the "normal" amount of time to burn a full DVD,
somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 to 10 minutes for a full DVD.

When MythArchive first starts the burn process, the drive is loud, and
sounds like its spinning real fast and doing its thing.  Then as it gets
into the burn, it sounds as if its slowing down, and then gets to the
point where you cant barely hear it, and just sits and sits.

The log doesnt show anything peculiar, as far as I can see:

	2007-01-16 17:53:01 Burning ISO image to /dev/dvd
	2007-01-16 18:20:09 Finished burning ISO image

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
   --Eric