[mythtv-users] US MythTV users: will your recordings be 1 hour off on March 11th?

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 23:02:05 UTC 2007

On 1/16/07, Robert Tsai <mythtv at tsaiberspace.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 01:36:09PM -0800, Ross Campbell wrote:
> > For those who don't know or forgot, daylight savings time rules
> > change in most parts of the US this year... DST will start 3 weeks
> > earlier and end 1 week later thanks to the brilliant minds behind
> > the Energy Policy act of 2005 -
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Policy_Act_of_2005
>
> So I have a current tzdata package (Ubuntu Edgy Eft,
> tzdata-2006m-1ubuntu1), but so what?
>
> Does it just change the meaning of "US/Pacific" (or
> "America/Los_Angeles" -- which am I supposed to use, anyway)? Or am I
> supposed to now use a different TZ value?

The tzdata updates will *REPLACE* changed tzdata files. So, the
current tzdata files for US/Paficifc will reflect the new timezone
rules. Your TZ value remains the same - at least in this TZ change
case. It's possible and conceivable that governments can and will
create new timezones that have different rules from any existing
timezones, which would require the creation of a new TZ value.

Interesting to note how often DST/timezome changes happen around the
world by looking at the tzdata package changelongs. Personally, I
think DST is bogus.

-Ross