[mythtv-users] Seperate video out with PVR-350?

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Tue Jan 16 18:24:08 UTC 2007

At 12:11 PM -0500 1/16/07, mythtv-users at jaredharvey.com wrote:
>So  as  a confirmation, should I expect to run two separate
>front  ends  at  the same time? I know the hardware can handle it, but
>I'm  not certain that the separate vt's can handle it. Currently I can
>switch  from  VGA X to composite X with the remote, but I can only use
>one  X  at  a time. Also I'm having some trouble with black screens in
>MythTV menu's.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my previous post. Yes, it should be behaving
exactly like you're seeing (you can only use one instance at a time.)

I think it may be possible to have the VTs work independently, but I
don't know the necessary configuration steps. It might have to do
with the kernel init parameters (specified in lilo/grub.)

But if you need each session to use different DB settings, you won't
be able to have them both running at the same time, anyway.

>Right  now I need to know what the preferred method of starting irexec
>is?

I run it right after lircd in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

/usr/local/sbin/lircd --device=/dev/lirc0 --output=/dev/lircd
/usr/bin/irexec -d /root/.lircrc

(Your setup may be different, particularly in the lircd line.)

>I believe the
>chvt  is  messed up when I ssh to it, and wouldn't be a problem if the
>remote was working.

That's right.

>So  I guess first things first, why doesn't it switch with the remote?
>Is  there  a way to sniff and see that irexec is calling the script? I
>just added some echo commands in the script but did not get output so,
>I think the script is not being called at all.

Stdout is probably going to some odd place, anyway. The better thing
would be to:

   echo "I got here!" >> /tmp/testfile

>Now  I can switch with the red and blue buttons. But this doesn't work
>automatically  on  boot.  I  need  to know how to enter it into either
>inittab,  or how to write a script to add to init.d then I can turn it
>on with the service commands.

As described above, I suggest rc.local.

>On  a  separate  note that I believe is unrelated, but probably should
>mention,  when in MythTV, at the mainmenu, it often come up black, but
>the  menu is there and one can select items. When I switch to Live TV,

Most likely, it's trying to output to the PVR-350 when the DB setting
is left to use the QT painter.