[mythtv-users] Need help with meaning of channel table fields

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jan 16 17:08:36 UTC 2007

Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> On 1/15/07, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
>>
>> When you connect the comcast settop box to the PVR150, you will not be
>> tuning using the PVR 150. You will be tuning using the STB. The PVR will
>> always be set on '3' or '4', and you will use an auxiliary command
>> (through an IR blaster, usually) to control the STB. The input will
>> likely be S-video, not the coax input. You do NOT use the same command
>> setup to tune the PVR 250.
>>
>> Each lineup is a unique set of channels which is tuned by the same setup
>> and method. You may have multiple tuners which respond to the same
>> tuning parameters (each half of a PVR500 for example). But any channel
>> which is tuned by a different set of parameters must be in a different
>> lineup. Duplicated channels are not permitted because the system cannot
>> know which tuning method is the correct one.
>>
>> You may (incorrectly) assume that myth knows how to tune each tuner, and
>> therefore knows how to tune a given channel. But in fact, myth only
>> knows how to apply the listed tuning parameters given for a channel, to
>> the indicated (allowed) tuner. If the tuning parameters were actually
>> for a different tuner, it would have no way of knowing because it does
>> not tune that way.
>

> This is tangential to the discussion, but I figure you probably know the
> answer - when you go into Watch TV, how does Myth decide which tuner it's
> going to use?  It doesn't seem to be the one with the highest priority.  Is
> it always tuner #1?

Well that's what I thought. I have been setting up my HD3000 card first,
   because then LiveTv will be less likely to choke when called, as I am
more likely to be recording on the PVR500. But the TV channel which
comes up in the Preview, is actually the last tuned LiveTV channel, as
far as I can tell.

And I have NO IDEA about how the priority system works. I don't use it,
since I do not use any recording rules but 'record *this* one'. I
presume that priority rules allow myth to decide whether to record CSI
versus CSI: Miami when they are both on at the same time, by selecting
alternate showings, when you have told it to 'record this at any
time'.....Myself, I just get 'conflicting'...

It's in the docs, but IIRC, its a little confusing..

Geoff