[mythtv-users] New house - any advice?

Tony Brummett brummett at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 16:26:51 UTC 2007

On 1/16/07, robin <robin at robinandmariette.com> wrote:

> Has anyone got a diskless HD solution working that they would recommend?

I'm using an Asus athlon-64 motherboard running diskless; just about any
motherboard these days with built-in ethernet will do it.  Between the
RedHat and Gentoo docs on network booting and nfs root, it took about a day
to get it working, and now I don't have any problems.

It cuts down on the heat and noise of having a drive in there, but it also
avoids the disk corruption you're liable to get when you have a toddler
running around your house that likes to push reset and power buttons.

I had no idea CAT5e would be able to carry USB, firewire and HDMI. With HDMI
> I wonder if it would be possible to have a single backend/frontend running
> in the utility room feeding my HDMI inputs on various TV's throughout the
> house, doing away with the remote frontends. I get brain cramps trying to
> think this stuff through.

The problem there is controlling the frontend when it's not in the same
room.  They have RF-based remotes that will work through walls and floors,
but you'd either have to carry it around with you or have several of them
around the house.  You'd have to walk down to the machine anyway to put a CD
or DVD in.

I don't know how well it works with digital signals like DVI/HDMI, but I
know that cable length and noise is an issue with long analog video runs.

-- Tony