[mythtv-users] Unicode characters showing up as question marks

Mr. Demeanour mrdemeanour at jackpot.uk.net
Tue Jan 16 10:56:55 UTC 2007

Dave M G wrote:
> MythTV Users,
>
> With help from this list, I've just succeeded in downloading the TV
> schedule for Japanese broadcast television from ontvjapan.com and
> importing it into MythTV.
>
> However, all the Japanese text comes up as question marks.
>
> Looking on the web, I've read that MythTV is supposed to have decent
> Unicode support as of version 0.16.

Not all Japanese computer-writing is Unicode. For example, it might be
encoded as SHIFT-JIS. From what I can tell, Unicode has not been taken
up as enthusiatically in places like Japan and China as some outsiders
might expect.

If the material is UTF-8, then it may be prefixed with a BOM (0xFEFF).

You might want to try pasting the material into a Kanji editor and
playing with the encoding until it displays correctly. That would tell
you what encoding has been used; getting that encoding to be rendered
correctly by Myth is another problem, and is left as an exercise.

--
Jack.