[mythtv-users] OT: Need a new HDTV

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 00:49:54 UTC 2007

On 1/15/07, Mark <fairlane at springcom.com> wrote:

> I've had some time today to look at this information.  It looks like the
> 1080p requirement is a non-issue,
> as there isn't any real content out there anyway.  It looks like there's
> a nice Olevia 37" 537H at abc warehouse
> for around $800.  Any opinions on Olevia sets?

I've had a 27" Olevia since early 2005. IIRC, it ran around $900 at
the time. It's 720p rather than 1080p, but the picture quality is
good.

I did have to exchange it after about two months for a blown column,
but the replacement has held up very well.

I picked this particular model because it was the only one I could
find at the time that had removable speakers -- I run sound from my
Myth system through a stereo so didn't need the speakers, and was the
largest I could find for a decent price that would fit into the
entertainment center furniture we had at the time.

It is certainly a nice picture, but wasn't the best picture available
at the time. I picked it because it was the best combination of
picture quality, picture size, and price. It also seemed to handle SD
pictures a bit better than some of the other sets, which was important
to me since I had no source for HD signals nor a Myth system capable
of delivering an HD signal.

On the whole I can recommend Olevia for delivering good quality for
the price, but where you fall on price/quality requirements may be
different.

I don't think there are more than a handful of large-format LCD
makers, and so don't think there is any great difference in the LCD
itself between branded screens and off-brand ones. But just in case,
make sure you get it from someone who will honor a return or warrantee
service without a great hassle.