[mythtv-users] High CPU usage with mythtranscode, even when set to low priority

jonny Linux jonnylinux at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 22:12:55 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have a 2.8GHz 1GB RAM, Fedora Core 5 combined frontend/backend, with 3
DVB-T tuners in the UK. I'm now trying to transcode some of my recordings to
MPEG-4. I've gone into mythtv-setup and checked jobs is set to low priority.
I have a dual screen setup (from an NVidia card), using XVMC on the TV-Out.
I have KDE running on the monitor so I can do work on the computer whilst
watching TV. The problem is when a transcode job starts, the other
applications become sluggish. If I look at "top", I can see mythtranscode is
using about 95% of the CPU! This sounds similar to this post:

http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2006-July/143434.html

but I'm not really sure how adding pci=noacpi would help, and whether or not
it could cause other problems.

Has anybody got any other ideas? Can anyone tell me if its safe to try
pci=noacpi?

Thanks,

Jonny