[mythtv-users] OT: Need a new HDTV

Jake Palmer jakep_82 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 15 20:38:10 UTC 2007

>From: Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com>
>
>Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> says:
> > But if you don't have 1080p content, there's no point in getting a
> > display capable of 1080p.
>
>Tell that to my Westinghouse 1080p display. Bob deinterlacing + a
>1080p modeline = Stupendously-smooth pans and other motion, and one
>noticeably smoother than any other setup (including Bob and a 1080i
>modeline).
>
>--
>Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> | +1 650 776 7763 | San Francisco CA US

Most HDTV's made today are either 720p or 1080p.  The key to smooth motion
is in the letter, not the number.  Progressive will look better than
interlaced, regardless of resolution.  And unless you have a very large TV
(50+"), you'll be hard pressed to see the difference in resolution at a
normal viewing distance (8-10').

Jake