[mythtv-users] nvidia 6200tc tearing and high xorg cpu usage seemingly fixed

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Mon Jan 15 20:32:04 UTC 2007

Steve:

I have this "tearing" issue on 1280x720p wth the same hardware you use
(A64, 3400+, "slightly overclocked", nVidia 6200-based video card).

I've been running the 8774 driver.  When I installed the latest 9xxx
driver, the tearing in the upper area of the screen went away - just as
you mentioned...I was happy.   However, MythWeb began to crash the system
when I clicked on "Backend Status" (it locked up X; I could ssh in but
couldn't kill the process, or even reboot cleanly - had to resort to the
reset button).  The rest of MythWeb worked OK.  This went away when I
downgraded back to the 8774 driver (but of course, the tearing came back,
and it's beginning to annoy me again).  Anyone else seen this issue?

I suppose I'll wait for the next nVidia driver to see if this clears up.

Bob

On 12/28/06, Mark Chang <mark.chang at gmail.com> wrote:
> : Do you have both XV VSync Options checked in nvidia-settings?
> : (Texture and Blitter) or just one or the other? Thanks. I'm really
> : hoping this will fix my problems with tearing with my 6200TC.
>
> No, just "Video Texture Adaptor" "Sync to Vblank". Blitter is not checked.
> In OpenGL settings, Sync to VBlank is off.
>
> See:
> http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/2033/picture1ks0.png
> and
> http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/4475/picture2yw8.png

Well, I found the time yesterday (in the drunken hangover haze that is
New Years day...) between the Rose Parade (horrible horrible coverage
this year =( and the plethora of college football to upgrade to the
9xxx series drivers and apply the "UseEvents" option.

WHOOPEE!!! tear-free low CPU use 1080p playback! I even have Kernel
enabled as my deinterlacer and was able to get through some of the
higher movement scenes in The Two Towers 1080i without ever hitting
100% CPU usage on my Athlon64 3200+ (slightly overclocked, something I
am now playing with...).

I'd say overall this driver upgrade is a great improvement for folks
with HDTV capable frontends, I'd recommend at least trying it even if
you don't have any issues with the old 8xxx series.

--
Steve