[mythtv-users] OT: Need a new HDTV

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Jan 15 16:14:11 UTC 2007

On Jan 15, 2007, at 8:01 AM, Boleslaw Ciesielski wrote:

> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> I've only ever seen 1080p content on my display once and it is
>> absolutely beautiful but the only way to get it is from HD-DVD, Blu-
>> Ray or to download it as 1080p so a 1080p isn't really "future-
>> proofing". 1080i will always been in the future for HDTV since it's
>> one of the broadcast standards.
>
> But there is no such thing as "1080i display". All modern displays are
> progressive and in order to not loose spatial resolution you need
> 1080p
> display. Anything less like 720p or 768p is throwing away information.
>
> Bolek

But if you don't have 1080p content, there's no point in getting a
display capable of 1080p. One capable of 1080i is fine and will
always be able to display high def content (will downsample 1080p to
1080i) - especially when your budget is $600-$800. You could also
tell him his CD's are no good because he's thrown away information
from the original recording but millions of people seem content with
it. I won't even begin to get into the horrible quality mp3 or AAC
files that just as many people are ok with.