[mythtv-users] networking

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 15 04:46:27 UTC 2007

From: Todd Houle <thoulemythtv at gleffsecurity.com>
>I once saw these units to
>plug into a power outlet.  Has anyone used them with Myth?  Do they
>provide enough bandwidth?  I'm using just standard def cable.   Are
>there any recommended brands or vendors?

I am using Netgear HDX101 powerline adapters for my main family room mythbox
(SD only).  It works very nicely on my "Default" 3000-4000Kbps recordings
but I get some occasional stalls with my "High Quality" profiles
6000-8000Kbps that I use for hockey games.

Your mileage may vary though as it really depends on what you have plugged
into your power lines.  In the family room if I turn on the florescent
lights in the garage "High Quality" playback almost always stalls.  I tried
one of these in the bedroom and it worked ok until I turned on the treadmill
which dropped the throughput to 0.  Luckily wireless works ok in the
bedroom.

So it might be worth a try but make sure you can return it if it doesn't
work in your particular application.