[mythtv-users] Ready to buy LIRC receivers

Mark Abreu mark at gags-r-us.org
Sun Jan 14 13:48:49 UTC 2007

Can I jump in here and expand the topic just a little?

I just did a Mythdora installation and it went well.  I didn't select a remote because this is an experiment, but it seems like a good time to work out the remote issue now that I've got things working.

I see I have lots of receiver choices from previous notes in this thread.  I struggle with the remote choice.  I printed 5 pages of MythTV keyboard commands so I could operate this thing without a remote.  I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how I map all those keys to any hand-held remote?  I haven't looked at a lirc file yet and I'm wondering if that would reveal how this is supposed to work.  Is there an explanation somewhere for the rookie?

One option I'm considering is buying a USB-UIRT and trying to use the remote that came with my TV.  This remote has buttons to put it in TV, VCR, DVD or Cable-box modes.  I'm only using the TV function now and I assume (maybe badly) that I could set it to VCR and get lirc to use it.

The other option would be to buy a Streamzap setup - receiver and remote.  I hate to add another remote but if someone here tells me it's easier then I might go that route.  One thing about the Streamzap receiver - can it receive from other remotes?

Mark.