[mythtv-users] Deinterlacing Methods

James Buckley xanium4332 at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 14 11:24:01 UTC 2007

On 14/01/07, Stroller <linux.luser at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> Although I understand the difference between interlaced & progressive
> I don't really understand the implications of using each, and what
> problems may be caused by them. I therefore post this reply in the
> hope that someone else can correct my understanding. My comments &
> remarks should not be taken to be definitive.
>

> On 13 Jan 2007, at 12:32, James Buckley wrote:
> > My main problem was TV playback. I had my TV set on 'DVI (PC)', and
> > the EDID information passed let me get a picture with no overscan
> > whatsoever. The drawback with this was that it was dropping frames
> > (badly, don't know why, just TV is unwatchable). TV was jerky,
> > (especially the news tickers).
>
> Is this not the "correct" way (or best way, perhaps?) to feed a TV
> which accepts such a signal? It's my understanding that such an image
> will be non-interlaced at full resolution, but that such an image
> will also require a lot of pixels–per-second. IE: you're effectively
> displaying an HD image (good!) and the best way to resolve this is
> throw more horse-power at the problem.

I haven't change my output to the TV, I just switched the TV into a mode
which was designed to be used with video. The consequences however, were
that I needed a modeline which worked with my TV (which is what I have)

> Working Modelines: 1280x720p, at 50Hz with a little overscan
> > ... I've found that I just can't match the quality of TV from my
> > freeview STB. I've gone through all the deinterlacing methods, and
> > the only one that has a decent framerate is BOB. However, I find
> > that BOB causes some parts of the picture to flicker. Normal scenes
> > look fine, but when digital boxes are drawn on the screen (such as
> > a news ticker), the horizontal edges between the box and the rest
> > of the picture will flicker slightly. It's a bit hard to explain,
> > but is most noticeable when a static picture is displayed. The
> > whole picture isn't jumping (like when there is a refresh rate
> > mismatch), just objects which are perfectly horizontal flicker (and
> > is bit annoying). I also oversize the picture slightly to get rid
> > of the top and bottom lines from flickering.
>
> I think this is the nature of a progressive signal at 50hz.
>
> I posted these links in another thread <http://www.gossamer-
> threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/244889#244889> a week ago:
>     <http://www.mythtvtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?
> p=12424&highlight=#12424>
>     <http://www.hifi-writer.com/he/progscan/progscan.htm>
>
> Stroller.

Do you mean about the flickering, cause SKY does a pretty good job of giving
me a static image, (coupled with my TV's deinterlacing).

Anyway, thanks for the info so far...