[mythtv-users] Capture cards

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jan 13 17:29:18 UTC 2007

On Jan 13, 2007, at 10:02 AM, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:

> VC-1 is not part of the MPEG-4 standard. Neither is it part of the DVB
> standard, which does allow for H.264 as its Advanced Codec. MS
> tried to
> be part of DVB and was rejected, as MS is only one controlling the
> VC-1
> "standard".

Yeah, they are "at it again" as was said. Trying to control
"standards". Microsoft is one of the worst cases of this, but
certainly not the only one. DiVX comes to mind as well as others.

By attempting to patent and control VC-1 Microsoft made its own bed,
and was  alienated from the "standard" because of this. Unfortunately
they control a large enough market segment to really screw things up.
VC-1 really is a decent codec, but let's hope nothing so proprietary
ever goes too far.

If even a fraction of the effort that goes into efforts to control
markets went into actually improving products we would all be a lot
better off, but I guess that's "business".

I think I'm in trouble, as RMS is starting to make sense :-)

Soapbox mode OFF.