[mythtv-users] MythTV + HD

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Sat Jan 13 00:36:55 UTC 2007

Rich West wrote:
> Mitchell Gore wrote:
>
>> Henry,
>>
>> I have figured out how to enable Component out on nVidia Cards.  Im
>> going to right a How-to soon on fedora forum but in the mean time here
>> is the basic install.
>>
>> Install the nvidia drivers
>> add this to the Screen section of your monitor...
>>

>> Option     "UseEDID" "FALSE"
>> Option     "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
>> Option     "TvOutFormat" "Component"
>>

>> #------------480p Group-----------------------------
>>
>> #Option     "TVStandard" "HD480p"
>> #Option     "metamodes" "CRT: 720x480 +0+0"
>>

>> #------------720p Group-----------------------------
>>
>> Option     "TVStandard" "HD720p"
>> Option     "metamodes" "CRT: 1280x720 +0+0"
>>

>> #------------1080i Group-----------------------------
>>
>> #Option     "metamodes" "CRT: 1920x1080 +0+0"
>> #Option     "TVStandard" "HD1080i"
>>

>> Option      "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
>> SubSection  "Display"
>>       Depth     24
>>       Modes    "720x480" "1280x720" "1920x1018"
>> EndSubSection
>>
>> To select the resolution (480p, 720p, or 1080i) uncomment that group
>> of options.  Only have one group uncommented at a time.  For me all
>> modes work great!  This was a huge pain for me to figure out but after
>> many hours of reading and testing there you go!.
>>

>> Giving back to the MythTV/Linux community...
>>

> Thank you!  This works rather well.  Changing modes (for testing
> purposes) was extremely easy.
>
> Now if I could just get the Recorded SD programs to look "normal" as
> opposed to being more grainy...  The xorg.conf settings definitely help
> A LOT.

Hrmm.. I'm getting no-where.  The xorg.conf options above work like a
champ, producing excellent MythVideo and menus, but when I bring up
current recordings they, well, look awful.  Horizontal interlace lines
are visible during moderate motion, the colors seem a bit off (red is
blasted out), and the picture appears somewhat grainy.. or maybe
grainy/snowy (not sure how to describe it).  Changing the interlace from
"detect" to "interlaced" makes no difference.

Now, via S-Video, the current recordings look good, but at the sacrifice
of everything else.  (man, 720p menus look crystal clear)

I'm not sure what else to try/check... Anyone have any ideas?
-Rich