[mythtv-users] mythtv on the ps3

Reza rezmang at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 12 21:52:26 UTC 2007

>Everything you say is true, but the fact is that it is a great price
>even if it were simply a Blu-Ray player.
>
>A "Mid-Range Mac" and a Blu-Ray player together would cost a *lot*
>more than the PS3.
>
>Plus you get to play with Linux on it, no extra cost :-)
>
>Talk about the PS3's "problems" all you want, it's still one of the
>best hardware deals out there.

I couldnt agree with you more. With everything that comes with the PS3, its a steal. It really bugs me to see these people slam the PS3 for being too expensive and then sing praises for the god damn iPhone when its almost the same price yet really has no innovation or hardware. It just shows where technology is moving these days, or better yet, how these 'bloggers' are pushing their narrow world views on the market.

As for the Cell CPU on Linux, Jeff is right. The Cell has 8 lightweight cores. These arent the full blown cores that AMD and Intel are pushing out. The Cell CPU is very similar to the UltraSPARC T1, which claims to have the title as the most powerful cpu out there. Lightweight cores are definately a better design. The problem is that present day OSes and software arent designed for these lightweight cores, they require a traditional full cpu style core. Its going to be hard to see Linux embrace this because the PS3 is the only machine out there which has it. Its going to be people like you and me and companies like terrasoft who will dictate how well the Cell/PS3 will fair on Linux. On the other hand, just sit back and wait for the PS3 games that come out. There will be tons of incentive for game developers to fully embrace and utilize every feature the PS3 has to offer. I cant wait :)