[mythtv-users] Serial Hauppauge Remote: mode2 "OK", irw says "connect: Connection refused"

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 04:59:33 UTC 2007

On 11/01/07, Larry <larry at foxgulch.com> wrote:
> My lirc enabled remote once functioned OK in MythTV.  But I spoke
> crossly one day and it hasn't worked since.
>
> # ls -al /dev/lir*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root users     5 Jan 11 07:22 /dev/lirc -> lirc0
> crw-rw---- 1 root users 61, 0 Jan 11 07:22 /dev/lirc0
> srw-rw-rw- 1 root users     0 Jan 11 07:30 /dev/lircd
> prw-rw-r-- 1 root users     0 Jan 11 07:30 /dev/lircm
>
> All the little deamons are running or can be forced to run ....
> # /sbin/service lircd restart
> Stopping infrared remote control mouse daemon:             [FAILED]
> Stopping infrared remote control daemon:                   [FAILED]
> Starting infrared remote control daemon:                   [  OK  ]
> Starting infrared remote control mouse daemon:             [  OK  ]
>
> Mode2 runs.....
> #mode2 --device=/dev/lirc0
> space 16777215
> pulse 960
> space 829
> pulse 1825
> space 1724
> ( etc. with a button push until terminated with Cntrl+C)
>
> But  irw refuses to run, witness:
> # irw /dev/lircd
> connect: Connection refused

(You should only run irw with the name of a lircd socket such as
/dev/lircd as you have above, not a device.)

> irw /dev/lirc0
> connect: Connection refused

If you run

# /sbin/service lircd status

is the lircd subsystem locked?

If you start lircd with the "--device=/dev/lirc0 --driver=default"
options (you can add this to the lircd init script if not running
lircd directly from the command line) does irw then start to  work?

Your syslog output contained the line:

Jan 11 07:12:11 lian lircd-0.8.1-CVS[3291]: could not get file
information for /dev/lirc

during lircd startup which leads me to believe that the /dev/lirc
device does not exist when lircd starts up. However, it is quite
likely /dev/lirc0 does. This could be a udev or timing issue.

Finally, make sure you have a (good) /etc/lircd.conf file. mode2 works
indicating the hardware is working, so I would guess it's a lircd
configuration thing.

Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki: