[mythtv-users] Daddy, what's a commercial - [OT offering]

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jan 12 03:38:27 UTC 2007

On Jan 11, 2007, at 5:34 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:

> Steve Hodge wrote:
>> My guess is purely subscription funded TV initially and probably
>> pay-per-view (probably on demand, e.g. downloads) in the long term.
>> Somebody will probably try more intrusive ads such a banners, but I
>> don't think the public will accept it.
>
> But they are using one of the most intrusive forms of advertising
> there
> is -- paid product placements. It's been around for a long time, but
> with the declining power of normal advertising it's really taken off.
> Expect to see more and more shows begin to resemble infomercials
> with a
> plot.

Not so intrusive if done well and, as you pointed out, not new at all.

I was watching an old Burns and Allen show, with "Carnation Condensed
Milk" (The milk from contented cows) and it was worked into the plot
quite cleverly. Since Gracie was saving 50-cents a quart she was
going to send all the milk to the IRS to pay her taxes :-)