[mythtv-users] How does MythTV determine showings to record?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Jan 12 01:03:32 UTC 2007

clemens at dwf.com wrote:
> When I look at say THIS OLD HOUSE in the program listings, I see
> at least a dozen showings of the program.
>
> Some are SD some are HD.
>
> And at any given time there are probably 3 different episodes being shown.
>
> How does MythTV decide which episode and SD/HD to record?

It doesn't decide if and episode is SD or HD. TMS sets a flag
in the TV listings that is only 'true' for the listings of
an HD channel and 'false' for a SD channel even if they are
otherwise the exact same episode. There is no telling if the
broadcast actually is or isn't HD and myth simply trusts that
TMS got it right.

See: http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html#ss12.6
and http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html#ss12.5
for ways to make the scheduler use this flag to your advantage.

For the more general questions of how does it decide which
episodes need to be recorded, see this section from the top:

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html

--  bjm