[mythtv-users] mythtv on the ps3

Jeff Breadner jeff at breadner.ca
Thu Jan 11 22:09:13 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 16:51 -0500, Reza wrote:
> These are some great ideas.
>
> Concerning VLC, can this be used with mythtv to playback video? Im
> assuming it was used as a standalone player.
>
> >I also wonder if it wouldn't be better to run Myth with DirectFB and
> >QT-embedded per the wiki.
>
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_MythTV_in_Framebuffer
>
> This sounds really interesting, can someone try this out and report
> back :)
>
> As for loading glx, mythfrontend was throwing errors saying it couldnt
> find it, so I figured it wouldnt hurt to load it and keep myth quiet.
>
> reza

I've pretty much finished compiling myth, following your guide; it looks
like all has worked, but I used the qt source RPM
(qt-3.3.6-0.3.fc5.src.rpm) instead of the tarball.  The compile is going
smoothly, and it sounds like using the source .rpm was a lot easier to
set up.

Last night I got fuse and djmount working on the PS3 pretty easily to
mount the uPnP MythTV service as a /mnt/av directory; with this, you can
use any video player that supports .mpeg (or whatever you have
transcoded your myth recordings as) to play back video content.  The
djmount service looks like it works pretty well, but I think MythTV can
only have one client connected at a time to the uPnP service.. I haven't
RTFM on uPnP yet though.

I was actually thinking of using djmount right on my mythbackend, and
then exporting that mounted dir via apache2 so that any web browser in
the house can surf the uPnP content and play back video by just clicking
on a link.  You won't have a preview thumbnail or anything, but it's a
good first start to making mythtv content available to anything with a
web browser.  It'd be pretty cool if that worked, maybe an addon to
mythweb?  Has anyone done this yet?

cheers
  Jeff