[mythtv-users] uPnP functionality query

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Thu Jan 11 18:49:58 UTC 2007

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 09:07:33 -0600
"Jerry Bett" <bjett80 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/11/07, Greg Estabrooks <greg at phaze.org> wrote:
> > > However will it also allow me to browse and select LiveTV channels from a
> > > uPnP device? That would be very cool.
> >
> >  At this point no it wont, though that might be an option in the future.

> Nick,
>
> How's your success been on streaming videos and what hardware are you using
> for a client ?
>
> I've been playing with upnp for a few weeks now ... very interested in
> the technology.
>
> Barry

No problems streaming video over 100Mbit wired LAN, mainly to a geexbox machine (www.geexbox.org).

I haven't tried any of the "set top box" uPnP clients. Every one I see mentioned always has some detractions - bad interface, limited codec capability, bad interaction with some uPnP implementations,  etc.

I have never tried a setup where the uPnP media server transcodes on the fly. I understand (from reading the twonkyvision forums last night) that it is possible to have such a setup using VLC as an intermediary to do the transcoding. Instructions were not clear.

Once you had a transcoding server, the choice of clients may become greater, as you can stream the client's choice of codec and format.