[mythtv-users] Daddy, what's a commercial

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Jan 11 16:14:44 UTC 2007

On Jan 11, 2007, at 7:58 AM, Mark J. Small wrote:

> On Thursday 11 January 2007 11:05, Jake Thompson wrote:
>> I have to second this.  My children 5 and 3, have no concept of
>> commercials
>> at all.  We have had Tivo and ny MythTV since they were born.
>> They seldom
>> (once a month or less) watch commercials and get very frustrated
>> when they
>> are on.  Add this to satelite radio in the car and they have zero
>> concept
>> of commecials.  While this may be a negative for the advertizing
>> companies,
>> it is a positive as a parent.  My children only see what I feel is
>> appropriate and they do not see "super destructo man" in
>> commercials.  I
>> was raised on violent TV and targeted advertizing, I am not saying
>> it is
>> bad and it has not turned me into a bad person, but I do feel that
>> giving
>> kids a chance to not grow up with this crap is a good thing.
>>
>> Maybe in the future my contribution to MythTV will to expand on
>> the kid
>> friendlyness, perhaps a new theam, and maybe something along the
>> lines of
>> what has been done with Tivo and KidsZone.
>>
>> -Jake

I would love a new kid-friendly theme. My 9 year old can navigate the
system, but she would much rather just be presented with programs
that she wants to watch in her recording group (her most common task)
with the option of viewing her videos in MythVideo and her music
playlists. She has no interest in archiving to DVD, scheduling
programs, getting System Info, etc.

MythTV would do well with user logins. Since it already stores
multiple front-end preferences, it isn't a far stretch to store
multiple user preferences per front-end. MythWelcome could
authenticate you and launch the theme associated with the user
complete with limited menus and all.

Unfortunately, I don't know many developers with young children AND
that much time for such an implementation. :)

-Brad