[mythtv-users] Daddy, what's a commercial

Jake Thompson jake at jakethompson.com
Thu Jan 11 15:05:35 UTC 2007

I have to second this.  My children 5 and 3, have no concept of commercials
at all.  We have had Tivo and ny MythTV since they were born.  They seldom
(once a month or less) watch commercials and get very frustrated when they
are on.  Add this to satelite radio in the car and they have zero concept of
commecials.  While this may be a negative for the advertizing companies, it
is a positive as a parent.  My children only see what I feel is appropriate
and they do not see "super destructo man" in commercials.  I was raised on
violent TV and targeted advertizing, I am not saying it is bad and it has
not turned me into a bad person, but I do feel that giving kids a chance to
not grow up with this crap is a good thing.

Maybe in the future my contribution to MythTV will to expand on the kid
friendlyness, perhaps a new theam, and maybe something along the lines of
what has been done with Tivo and KidsZone.

-Jake