[mythtv-users] Insertion

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Jan 11 03:12:26 UTC 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 6:34 PM, Rich West wrote:

> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> On Jan 10, 2007, at 12:12 PM, Rich West wrote:
>>

>>> I have a bunch of video pulled off of my Tivo before the hard drive
>>> died.  I converted them from the .ty files to .mpg.  Is there a way,
>>> other than just plopping them in to a mythvideo directory, of
>>> "inserting" them in to the recorded list?
>>>
>>> All in all, I would like to try putting them in to the list of
>>> recorded
>>> programs, then run them through the commercial flagging process.
>>>
>>> Is this possible?
>>>

>> Drop them in your recorded tv directory and run
>> myth.rebuilddatabase.pl (its in your contrib directory).
>> It will go through and prompt you to add metadata for any file it
>> can't find in the database.
>

> You rock!  That worked.. although it did take a little convincing.
> It didn't like the default names of the files (The tivo left them
> with file names like "Law & Order - Deadlock", which, I think,
> caused one of the parts of the script to fail.  I renamed the files
> to be generic names (matching the format of the rest of the
> recorded programs).
>
> Thanks again for the quick and accurate response!

My pleasure. As I was responding to you, I ran it to make sure it
still worked. It picked up a couple of orphaned recordings and since
my filenames were in Myth-happy formats it guessed all the metadata
correctly (except duration which seems to default to 60 no matter
what) and even rebuilt the seek tables. Pretty cool, indeed! Now I'm
not so freaked out about keeping daily backups of my database. :)