[mythtv-users] MythTV + HD

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Wed Jan 10 16:53:39 UTC 2007

Mark Lehrer wrote:
>> If I go back and set it to 720p, the display shows up as if I am
>> displaying a 20" display in the middle of this 56" screen (black all
>> of the way around, image is *small*).
>>

> Which kind of TV is it exactly?  You may have to find someone with
> the same exact model.  Does it have a DVI or HDMI input?

It's a Panasonic 56" PT56WXF95 with component and svideo inputs.  If it
had VGA, DVI, or HDMI inputs, I would be set since the sync and other
modeline information is communicated back from the TV.  But, with
component communication, it is only one-way..

I figure I am going to have to wait and try this with our 32" LCD flat
panel TV when we get it back from the shop (should be soon, I hope..
it's been out for over a month!).  It died right after Thanksgiving
(unit was only 8months old!) and the manufacturer opt'ed to replace it
entirely.  If everything works as I expect it to with the 32" LCD, then
it just might be time to sell the rear projection and go for something new.

I tried for a few hours last night to see if I can get it to display
properly via component, but the best I could get was 720x480 (720p),
which, in to itself, is awesome, but the display of recorded programs
(not mythvideo stuff) looked absolutely horrible.  I believe is because
displaying SDTV recordings (480i) in a progressive mode means that 1/2
of the lines are missing.

On top of that, the image had a TON of overscan.  Via component hookup,
the nvidia-settings control panel didn't give nearly the same options
that it did when I was hooked up via s-video.

-Rich