[mythtv-users] using an IR Blaster

Michael Lynch lynchmv at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 14:21:32 UTC 2007

> I have an external satellite TV Set Top Box:
> Coolsat Digital Satellite 5000 platinum
> http://www.coolsatusa.com/5000plat.htm
> The svideo out from Coolsat goes to the svideo
> on the PVR-350 and the audio to the Line-In.

I have a similar setup using a Pansat 2700a with S-Video going into a
Compro VideoMate TV Gold Plus.  I built my own IR Blaster (loosely
following http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/mythtv-info/MythTV_DISH_IR_LED_TX_via_Modified_LIRC.html)
and I created my own lircd.conf using irrecord and my laptops IR port.

After building my IR Blaster, I 'modded' my STB by taking off the
shell, drilling a hole in the back and running the blaster through the
hole to the front of the STB, where the 'eye' is, so that I could be
sure (for the most part) that my channel changes would go (so far I
haven't missed a channel change).

> My concern about LIRC is that I am not a coder.  So I can easily
> get myself in trouble.  Compiling, etc.  Plus, I don't have a spare
> machine to experiment with.  Without MythTV under our roof, I'll
> become very unpopular very quickly.

Following the directions at the above link were a bit fuzzy as I had
to edit the script to deal with symlinks and a few other things.  If
there is an easier doc on getting the blaster working that would
probably help a great bit.  I was going to create a new script to do
so, but from what I've read, you may be able to use the blaster with a
normal lircd install.

All of that aside, it is great having an FTA satellite source to
record shows from, so I would say that it is worth pursuing.