[mythtv-users] Apple iTV - MythTV Frontend?

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue Jan 9 20:12:29 UTC 2007

Tom Lichti wrote:
> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
>> Peter A. Daly wrote:
>>
>>> I know it's way to early for anyone here to have any concrete
>>> knowledge...but it's maybe time to start thinking about it.
>>>
>>> $299 for HDTV playback device includes 40GB hard disk....nice price,
>>> even better features.
>>>
>>> So we need:
>>> 1.  To get that sucker running Linux (although maybe it's got an OSX
>>> based OS that will do)
>>> 2.  mythfrontend running on it
>>> 3.  IR support
>>>
>>> Should be interesting.  If I had more disposable income, I'd pre-order
>>> one now to mess around with.
>>>
>>> Anyone have experience with this kind of thing that can comment on how
>>> possible it may be?
>>>
>> Let me know when you can play your iTunes DRM protected content with
>> Linux or stream it an AirPort express and I'll tell you when you can
>> expect to be able to do the same with the AppleTV
>>
>> Kevin
>>

> Well, it does have an Intel processor, USB and ethernet ports, and I
> presume there must be some kind of update mechanism, so I would expect
> some hacks to appear at some point. When they do, I'll be buying one... :)

It will at least allow you to import your own video content to iTunes
for syncing with the AppleTV.  If it was UPnP enabled, that would be
interesting.  The video formats though seem a little limited and lacking
MPEG-2?

Video formats supported: H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store):
640 by 480, 30 fps, LC version of Baseline Profile; 320 by 240, 30 fps,
Baseline profile up to Level 1.3; 1280 by 720, 24 fps, Progressive Main
Profile. MPEG-4: 640 by 480, 30 fps, Simple Profile

Kevin