[mythtv-users] Where to start?

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Tue Jan 9 16:54:44 UTC 2007

On 9 Jan 2007, at 12:20, Robin Hill wrote:

> On Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 12:03:42PM +0000, Damian Surr wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone offer advice on TV tuners for Freeview in the UK? Someone
>> posted on another tread that I'd need a satellite dish. Is that
>> right? I
>> thought it came though a normal aerial.
>>
> There's a couple of ways to get the Freeview channels - via satellite
> (with a one-off installation fee)...

Is the one-off installation fee actually necessary? I plan to use DVB-
S and had intended to buy a cheap dish & LNB off eBay (or find
someone who has moved into a house whose previous owner had left one
bolted to the outside wall) and simply hook it up to a DVB-S card.

I have a customer who runs a satellite TV installation business,
although I haven't had the chance to chat to them about this yet. I
was planning to ask for their advice &/or help in adjusting the
alignment of the aerial - I'll gladly pay for that, but hadn't
planned on paying any Sky "registration" or installation fees; I was
intending to simply treat the installation like that of a "satellite
aerial".

In what way does satellite require a "one-off installation fee" that
paying a little man to come & install a freeview (DVB-T) aerial to
your roof does not?

Stroller.