[mythtv-users] Where to start?

Brian Jameson tech at jameson.co.uk
Tue Jan 9 16:35:39 UTC 2007

Damian Surr wrote:-

>Can anyone offer advice on TV tuners for Freeview in the UK? Someone posted
on another tread that I'd need a satellite dish. >Is that right? I thought
it came though a normal aerial.

Freeview does come via the aerial. It is worth doing some research as to
what sort of reception you can expect before the analogue switch off from
some site such as http://www.freeview.co.uk/home. This gives you channels
you theoretically should receive assuming a good aerial(Channel 5 is not
available in my part of Norfolk)! Also ask your neighbours what they
actually get as the theory seems to differ on occasions. I know of two
households in Warwickshire and Lincolnshire that should get most things but
don't get any of the ITV1 2 3 4 and a few more, and according to the above
web site and the literature they should.

Subject to the above you may then decide to go for a mixed digital freeview
and analogue setup if you are unlucky with your location!

regards,
Brian