[mythtv-users] Where to start?

Peter Bowyer peter at bowyer.org
Tue Jan 9 13:41:17 UTC 2007

On 09/01/07, Damian Surr <damian at gingermagic.com> wrote:

> >> Right, the Nota-T-500 sounds like a good card, but a bit beyond my Linux
> >> capabilities at the moment. I think I'd be wanting to use EIT too. Is
> >> there any reason that you don't Peter?
> >>

> > I get all the schedule info I need from mythfilldatabase /
> > tv_grab_uk_rt - it doesn't include the radio channels, but I'm not
> > fussed about those. I don't know if I'm missing any extra detail, or
> > timeliness, though...
> >
> > Peter
> >
> Right, I probably need to have MythTV set up to know what you're talking
> about :-) I wouldn't know mythfilldatabase from EIT if I saw them both
> walking down the street.

mythfilldatabase is a scheduled (usually daily) task which calls a
'grabber' script (in my case tv_grab_uk_rt) to download listings data
from an internet source - in this case, radiotimes.com. The RT data is
enriched with reviews, rather than just the programme descriptions
from the broadcaster, which I personally like a lot (others may well
have the opposite view).

EIT is the over-the-air protocol on DVB-T for listings information,
which Myth can grab as often as you want it to.

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer
Email: peter at bowyer.org