[mythtv-users] Where to start?

Peter Bowyer peter at bowyer.org
Tue Jan 9 12:49:33 UTC 2007

On 09/01/07, Robin Hill <myth at robinhill.me.uk> wrote:
> On Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 12:03:42PM +0000, Damian Surr wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone offer advice on TV tuners for Freeview in the UK? Someone
> > posted on another tread that I'd need a satellite dish. Is that right? I
> > thought it came though a normal aerial.
> >
> There's a couple of ways to get the Freeview channels - via satellite
> (with a one-off installation fee) or via a normal aerial (though it
> might need replacing as the optimal aerial design is different for
> the frequencies used by digital and analogue).  If you're wanting to use
> a normal aerial then you need a DVB-T card, and for satellite you'll
> need a DVB-S card (which I can't help you with).
>
> For DVB-T, I've used both the Nova-T and the Nova-T-500.  The Nova-T is
> very well supported and has given me absolutely no issues.  The
> Nova-T-500 is a dual tuner card (it's basically two USB tuners and a USB
> bridge) and is very compact.  It's not quite as stable (especially if
> you're trying to use EIT) though someone posted a suggested patch on the
> DVB list a few days ago (I've not had chance to test it myself yet).
> The remote is also not currently supported with the Nova-T-500.

I've found the Nova-T-500 very stable, although I don't use EIT. I
needed to build a 2.6.19 kernel to get the card support, but 2.6.20
should be generally available Real Soon Now, and I guess the major
distributions will turn it round pretty quickly.

The remote is not an issue for me as I have a split BE/FE.

My BE runs FC5 with Myth 0.20 from ATrpms (thanks, Axel).

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer
Email: peter at bowyer.org