[mythtv-users] Where to start?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jan 9 12:44:07 UTC 2007

On Jan 9, 2007, at 5:28 AM, Damian Surr wrote:

>> As I said, ATI cards *can* be used, but with that CPU you will need
>> XvMC for any HD programming and maybe even for SD if you want to de-
>> interlace and/or commflag at the same time. I'm not sure what
>> resolutions are presently being used in the UK.
>>
> I think 720x576 is that standard for PAL

For PAL analog(ue) yes, but I don't know what they are doing with
digital over there.

I think I saw something on this list about the BBC experimenting with
MPEG-4 variants. That would take more CPU to decode and you can't get
any help from XvMC, which only helps with MPEG-2.

So you may ultimately want to get a faster CPU.