[mythtv-users] mythfrontend cannot find video

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 00:00:02 UTC 2007

On 1/8/07, Bill Williamson <bill at bbqninja.com> wrote:
> On 1/8/07, Atomic Atomic <atomicster at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Although I can browse the video list, and can see the video metadata
> > and all, when I want to start viewing the video remotely I get "failed
> > to open "matrix.vob" in /video/videos. Check if the file exists".
> > Using mythfrontend locally on the backend plays the video just fine.
> > Any ideas?
>

> Do you have your videos directory exported to the frontend?
>
> It is my understanding that mythmusic/mythvideo/etc do NOT transfer
> their files through the myth backend.  You must have the same
> mountpoints defined on all frontends (a bit of a hassle...).

The music and video directories need to be mounted on each frontend,
but they don't need to be the same. You need to set whatever machine
is hosting the music and video dirs to share them via NFS and/or
samba, and these directories need to be mounted locally on each
frontend you want to use to play them back. You can mount wherever you
want and there is no requirement that any of the mountpoints be the
same.

In the setup section of each frontend go to Media Settings -> Music
Settings and Video Settings to set the locally mounted directory for
music and video.