[mythtv-users] Two part-time backends? MythVideo standalone?

jonny Linux jonnylinux at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 17:57:55 UTC 2007

> You'll want your Master Backend to be the computer you are willing to
> leave on all the time. For most people this is the one with the tuners
> and recordings drive so that it is always ready to record and so any
> slave frontends always have access to the recordings. Any other
> computers you have with tuners available for recording should run as a
> Slave Backend.
>
> I'm not quite clear on the issue with the Myth plugins. Each frontend
> has its own settings for these plugins and does not require the
> backend for anything more than the db. You would just need them to
> point to the media resources you want them to have access to.

The issue is, I'd like not to have either computer on all the time. I'd like
to be able to run MythFrontend and MythVideo without having the master
backend running. At the moment if the backend is not running and the
frontend is turned on, mythfrontend doesn't work, and asks for the ip
address and password of the backend.

My question is, is it possible to use MythVideo and the Internal DVD player
without requiring the backend to be on? There's no real requirement for the
DVD player to read from the database, and if MythVideo was set to browse
mode, there would be no need for the frontend to read the video database
either.

So my question is, is it possible to use the plugins without having a
mythbackend running on the network?

Jonny